Oh, hey there, readers! I’m baaaack! Extra points for you if you noticed my absence. And if you didn’t, I still love you because guess what. You’ve made the time to read this post.
I hope you’ve been lucky enough to enjoy a little time away. I just got back from a raucous trip to Vegas with about 15 of my best friends, and I have to admit… although I was really, really excited for the vacation, it also made me a little nervous, because I was in a situation I assume is not too rare: I needed to go to Vegas. I needed to go HAM. But I also needed to look hot for a wedding and reunion of sorts just 2 weeks later. My vegetarian ass ended up eating at least 4 different animals over the course of the trip. I drank like Lindsay Lohan for 4 straight days and 4 straight nights. I gambled with chain smokers. But with a little forethought and some careful packing, I managed to come out looking and feeling great. Not a single hangover. Not a single regret. Not a single pound gained. In fact, one of my co-workers looked at me on my first day back and said, “You look like you never left!”. Here’s how I pulled it off.
8 Secrets To Surviving Your Vacation
Pack Healthy TSA-Approved Snacks: Sbarro. Cinnabon. Burger King. These usually represent your meal choices at the airport. And even if you manage to find something healthy, the prices are ridiculous. Make yourself some raw trail mix for the flight, and carry along a few pieces of fruit. This way, the only thing you’ll need to purchase at the gate is water, and you’ll always have something nutritious on hand.
- Walk When You Can. Work Out If You Want: Vacation is a time to relax, so you shouldn’t feel guilty about letting your regular workout routine slide, at least for a few days. But consider walking to dinner instead of taking a cab. Or maybe do a quick tabata circuit in your hotel room with a friend. Snorkel. Cycle. Take a jog to explore your new surroundings. Any movement counts and will help chip away at the extra calories you may be taking in.
- Take Your Vitamins: Dry air and close quarters increase the likelihood of you getting sick. I recommend taking a multivitamin and an extra vitamin C supplement just in case. A probiotic could help with digestion, especially if you plan on eating things you normally wouldn’t.
- Get Your Greens: If you’re doing your vacationing right, you’re allowing yourself to eat whatever the eff you want. You’ve earned it, right? But if you’re used to eating clean, the sudden change in diet could shock your system. We’re talking headaches, bloating, constipation. Yuck! Avoid the nasty side-effects of decadent foods by keeping your body as alkaline as possible. Greens will help. And if you don’t have access to fresh produce, use my little shortcut – green food suppliments like chorella or spirulina. They’re available in powders and easy-to-swallow tablets.
- Lemon Water: I was the girl who packed an entire bag of fresh lemons in my suitcase. Why? Because fresh lemon juice fixes EVERYTHING. One glass of lemon water first thing in the morning de-puffs a tired face, helps with digestion, and helps alkalize the body. Extra points for adding a splash of raw apple cider vinegar.
- Cha-cha-cha-CHIA: I also packed a mason jar full of chia seeds in my carry-on. The chia seed is a unique superfood that keeps the body in balance. Each little seed carries water along with it to keep you hydrated. The little sponges also pull toxins from the digestive tract so they’re eliminated when you… you know… “go”. And you’ll be “going” regularly. Chia seeds contain substantial amounts of necessary fiber. Mix one tablespoon in with your lemon water in the morning.
- Stay Hydrated With Coconut Water: Excessive alcohol consumption will dry you out faster than anything. The easiest way to not feel like a 10 pound turd after a night of partying is to drink as much non-alcoholic liquid as you can before going to bed and the morning after. My #1 recommendation is coconut water. It has more electrolytes than plain water, and most brands are better for you than sports drinks because they’re all-natural.
- Choose Your Booze Wisely: Sometimes we binge drink. We’re adults. As long as you’re not driving, it’s okay. But when you’re planning on going hard, consider the consequences. Having one or two? Go ahead and indulge in your favorite margarita or mudslide. Having 15? Stick to drinks lower in calories, because the extras add up FAST. Take my favorite for example, the vodka soda with fresh-squeezed lemon. One of those will run you only about 70 calories. If you have 7, that’s 490 calories. But if you decide to have 7 light beers instead, your calorie consumption jumps to 700. Big difference, right?
Do you have any secrets for surviving a particularly decadent event? Let me know by commenting in the section below or emailing me at email@example.com. Together, we will conquer the dreaded hangover!
Happy trails, and I hope you’re enjoying your summer!