It’s creamy. It’s healthy. It’s packed with protein. Best of all, it’s one of the most versatile foods around. I’m talking about today’s Friday Favorite, a gift from the gods, GREEK YOGURT!
My fridge is always stocked with at least one quart of the plain non-fat kind. I’m not brand loyal, although there are lots to choose from. I usually just buy whatever’s on sale. An entire cup is only 120 calories with a whopping 20 grams of protein.
Sure, you can eat it like you would a regular cup of Yoplait, but there are so many more options. Here are 10 things you can do with your plain Greek yogurt:
- Scoop out a serving and top it with your favorite fruit. Maybe a little stevia or agave nectar. Chances are you already do this. It’s still delicious. I like to buy the plain and add my own things to it to avoid added processed ingredients. You also get more food for the calories.
- Add to your smoothie for a thicker consistency and protein boost.
- Throw a dollop or two into your favorite red pasta sauce or use it instead of heavy cream in your alfredo.
- Add a pinch of salt. Instant sour cream! Seriously, it tastes identical to the real thing. Use on everything from baked potatoes to tacos.
- Use as a substitute for mayo. Works especially well in things like tuna & egg salad.
- Greek yogurt + chopped cucumbers + dill + salt = tsatziki
- Skip the traditional pizza sauce. Spread Greek yogurt on the pizza dough instead! Add your favorite toppings & bake.
- Get a popsicle tray. Make frozen yogurt pops.
- Slim down your favorite cookies and cakes by replacing half the amount of butter with Greek yogurt.
- Turn your already healthy guacamole into a protein-packed snack by adding a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt. So rich. So good for you.
What do you do with your Greek yogurt? Tell me in the comments section below or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.