Working out without music just plain sucks, and there’s scientific proof that listening to the right music can help you get a better workout. It’s fun to keep time with the beat… sort of like dancing for those of us who lack rhythm. And, did you know… walking or running along to a song can also help you estimate how fast you’re going, if you’ve taken your sweat session outside. It’s all about beats per minute, or BPM. If you’re a power walker and want to keep a 4-4.5 MPH pace, choose songs with 130-140 BPM. If you’re a runner, and you’re looking to go a little faster, say 5.5-6.5 MPH, you’ll want to stay in the 150-170 BPM range. It’s personal, and exact numbers depend on your height and your stride.
By now you should be asking, “How the heck am I supposed to calculate beats per minute?” Like most things in life now, there’s an app for that. It’s called simply “BPM” and it’s FREE!!
That picture is all this app is. One screen and a button that says “TAP”. To calculate a song’s BPM, all you have to do is hit the “TAP” button along to the music for 10 seconds or so. It will do all the work for you.
Given all this exciting information, I’ve created a playlist of 30 songs that keep me running at an average pace of 6.0 mph. Sometimes a little slower, sometimes a little faster. All of the following songs are between 150-170 beats per minutes. And yes… I already had all of these songs in my library before I decided to make this post. Don’t hate!
30 Songs That’ll Make You Sweat!
B.O.B (Bombs Over Baghdad) – Outkast
- All I Do Is Win – DJ Khaled ft. T-Pain, Ludacris, Rick Ross & Snoop Dogg
- Dirt Off Your Shoulder – Jay-Z
- Dog Days Are Over – Florence & The Machine
- Got Money – Lil’ Wayne ft. T-Pain
- Sabotage – Beastie Boys
- Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
- Clique – Kanye West ft. Big Sean & Jay-Z
- Beez in the Trap – Nicki Minaj feat. 2 Chainz
- Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
- Runaway Baby – Bruno Mars
- Alright – John Legend
- Good Vibrations – Beach Boys
- Bloodshot – Jack’s Mannequin
- Break Ya Neck – Busta Rhymes
- Birthday Cake – Rihanna
- Gucci Gucci – Kreayshawn
- Jump – Rihanna
- I Stand Alone – Theophilus London
- Countdown – Beyonce
- Power – Kanye West
- Black & Yellow – Wiz Khalifa
- Pump It – Black Eyed Peas
- Dance (A$$) – Big Sean
- Best Love Song – T-Pain ft. Chris Brown
- I’ll Be Waiting – Adele
- What These Bitches Want – DMX ft. Sisqo
- Ima Boss – Meek Mill feat. Rick Ross
- I’m On One – Rick Ross, Lil’ Wayne, & Drake
- Watch My Feet – Dude N Nem
We all have our favorite workout songs. Tell me about yours! Simply comment in the section below or email me at email@example.com.